Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can a executor of a will hold up selling a home and land…

Can a executor of...

Can a executor of a will hold up selling a home and land bequeathed to a total of 5 siblings. Taxes, insurance,water electricity has been left on for the past two years and nothing has been done to sell it. We would all have a share in paying these bills wouldn't we?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I am not sure what you mean. We have papers saying we are 1/5th owners.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/21/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

An executor of an estate (what Florida calls a "personal representative") has a fiduciary duty to manage the estate responsibly, and to manage the estate assets in the best interest of beneficiaries. While there are certainly exceptions, most probate estates in Florida can be wrapped up within a year. There should not be a reason why the executor has held onto the home for two years and not even taken steps to sell it. While the beneficiaries are not personally liable for paying taxes, utilities, etc., the estate IS responsible for such debt -and to that extent, the share of each beneficiary is affected the longer this drags out.

The beneficiaries may wish to speak to an estate attorney about bringing a motion to compel the executor to show good cause as to why the home has not been listed for sale. Beneficiaries can also petition the court to have the executor removed and someone else appointed if they believe they are failing to carry out their duties responsibly.

The Florida Bar Association has a lawyer referral service that can help you find a local attorney. The phone number is *****

RobertJDFL, Attorney