Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have a relative that has passed that was taking care of…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a relative that has passed that was taking care of property that was in her mothers name but the property actually didn't belong to the mother, it belonged to her son. How does his children go about claiming the property???

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The title deed from the county recorders office

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It names the son as the grantor and the mother as the grantee...

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/21/2018
Estate Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your real property and estate law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill assisting you today.

If the property is in the son's name the son can retake possession of the property and file unlawful detainer proceedings against those in wrongful possession.

If there is a title defect then he can file a quiet claim title challenge in the Superior Ct to restore title in his name.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return remember to rate my answer positively today.

I'm an independent legal expert and get a credit when you take the time to leave positive feedback.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill