Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

From New Jersey. My wife passed away 2-9-2018 she owed 3…

Customer Question
Paul from New Jersey...

Paul from New Jersey. My wife passed away 2-9-2018 she owed 3 credit card companies in her name. She left a very small estate. Do I need a probate lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

New Jersey Feb 9th 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Three credit card accounts seeking payment from her estate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She left a savings account in her name. less than $500.00 Everything else was jout

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, you should consider hiring a probate attorney if several creditors are trying to collect against her estate and if you have several jointly held accounts. An attorney can help protect your interests and assets from debt collectors.

You can contact the New Jersey State Bar for a referral to a probate lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(732)(###) ###-####/strong>

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!