Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am an only child and my father died over 2 years ago

I am an only...

I am an only child and my father died over 2 years ago leaving me everything in his will.....including his home. I live out of state and so I've just been paying the yearly taxes on the home and have neglected to get the deed transferred into my name. How do I go about doing this without having to travel to my dad's home town?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Birmingham, Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have his will and his death certificate also a letter from Wells Fargo(the mortagage lender) granting him the home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that's all

3/19/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

,

How do I go about doing this without having to travel to my dad's home town?

.

Unfortunately you probably can't because you will have to file a probate case in the county where father lived to settle his estate and be appointed as executor. And that requires you to show up to court in front of the judge so he can appoint you. Then you would have the legal authority to transfer the house from father's estate to yourself with a new deed signed by you as executor.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney