Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I received $56,000 from my deceased mother's estate in 2017.

I received $56,000 from...

I received $56,000 from my deceased mother's estate in 2017. I live in California. Is this money taxable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Her Estate paperwork which spells out how the money is to be distributed to her children

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I am preparing my tax return and the program is making me pay tax on this money

3/19/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
My condolences for your loss.
An inheritance is not taxed as income to the recipient.
Loren, Attorney
Thank you Loren. There is no state or federal taxation in California. Is this correct?
No, no call please. Thanks
Correct, no federal or CA state income (or inheritance) tax to recipient on an inheritance.