Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Where can I ask assistance to transfer my property (mobile…

Where can I ask...

Where can I ask assistance to transfer my property (mobile home) to a trust account. My husband died and I would like to register title to a trust account. (My husband & I have a living trust that needs to be updated and transferred to a trust account. Thank you in advance for your help. Lorna Esperanza ***-***-**** (*************@*****.***)

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the mobile home?

California (Torrance)

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Title and registration papers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are bank account subject to probate? (I have a payable on death document with the bank) what about 401K and retirement benefits and life insurance ( with updated beneficiaries. We don’t have children.) Thank you.

3/20/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is the mobile home title in your name only?

,

If not, have you filed a probate case to settle husband's estate so you can get the title in your name only?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Originally, title is under our names with right of survivorship. I am in the process of changing the title (and would like to register it under a trust account name). Can you please assist me? Thank you.

Ok, good, then the title would go solely into your name once your spouse passed. So you can contact the local office that handles mobile home titles and visit them with a copy of your spouse's death certificate. The can then remove his name from the title, leaving only yours.

.

Then you can sign the title to the home over to the trust and do the transfer at the same office. Once the title is reissued, it would be in the "XYZ Trust" or whatever your trust's name is, with you listed as trustee.

.

As for your other questions.... POD accounts go directly to the named beneficiary... Same thing with insurance, 401K and retirement accounts... they all pass outside probate.

.

So based on your comments, it doesn't sound like you would have to file a probate case at all.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to clarify, these will not be subject to probate: 401k, life insurance, retirement benefits; beneficiaries were only updated (no POD or trust account name.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I have 2 free calls. Thank you.

.

Correct.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Regarding my other questions: can I have a living trust for US property and another for the Philippine property (I am from the Philippines)?
Can I have a separate will for my family side and another will for my husband’s family side? Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’d like to call you or please call me. What’s your telephone number? I don’t want to click “call me” because I’m still entitled to 2 free calls.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I have limited allowance lately. Please call me, will wait. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I didn’t get your response to my other questions.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For Barrister: regarding my other questions, can I have a living trust for US property and another one for Philippine properties (I’m from the Philippines)? Can I do a separate Will for Philippine property, one for my my family side and another for my husband’s family side? ( sorry, I did not follow instruction so I have to repeat my previous message) Thank you.

I'm happy to answer any follow up questions you may have that pertain to your original question. This appears to be a new question, and not a follow up. JustAnswer prefers that you open a new question page for new questions. This ensures that you'll have an accurate customer ratio on the site, and it helps us to give the best possible answers to your questions.

Barrister, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks.
Barrister, Attorney