Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am a widow as of a week ago in the State of Florida. We…

I am a widow as...
I am a widow as of a week ago in the State of Florida. We have no children together. He has two adult children. My husband had several credit cards and personal loans only in his name. We have a home in a mobile home park that is paid for in both of our names. Other than a life insurance policy, we had no other assets. Can his creditors come after me?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

Florida is not a community property state and spouses can hold separate debt and assets from the other spouse.

You have no personal liability for debt in your late husband's name. His creditors can not hold you personally liable for debt in his name only.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney