Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

WHA. Georgia, needing an ancillary probate from Florida to…

Georgia, needing an ancillary...

Georgia, needing an ancillary probate from Florida to Georgia. I was told I could do it myself.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

A completed probate from Hillsborough County Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Me and my sister need to complete the processs for Georgia because of a property here in Georgia that we would need our name on the deed. Currently its in the name of the deceased

3/20/2018
Jessica B
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!
In Georgia you are not required to open an ancillary estate to sell the real property of a non resident decedent. If there is an estate open in the domicillary estate, then all you need to submit in Georgia, are certified copies of the Letters of Administration of the Personal Representative and a copy of the Will.
There was no Will. We did a probate in Florida. And we're keeping the property in Georgia. We need our names on the deed. I need to know what I need to file in Georgia to add me and my sister's name to the deed as heirs.
Please read it completely. Thanks.
There is no requirement to open an ancillary estate in Georgia. As long as the Florida probate is still open, meaning the Letters of Administration are still active and valid, the Personal Representative may execute a Personal Representatives Deed to transfer the property. If the estate is closed, you may have to pay the $50 reopen fee to have the Florida estate active. This is still cheaper than opening an ancillary estate in Georgia.
I recommend contacting a GA real estate attorney to prepare and record the deed. This usually costs under $400.
Okay thanks so much for that information. What documents do I need to file for DeKalb County, GA? That's the other piece that the clerks at the courthouse cant tell me. I want to do this myself as I am being told I can.
You need to record a Personal Representatives Deed with the clerks office. You may need to attach a copy of the Letters of Administration but it is not a requirement. I highly recommend having a Georgia attorney prepare the deed.
Jessica B
Great! Thanks for the additional details that is exactly what I needed to know. I will start the process and get the deed filed by a GA lawyer. Thanks again.

No problem! Please let me know if you need any help in the future. Thank you!