Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

From previous emails I have stated all the family troubles.

My deceased grandma inherited 5000...
From previous emails I have stated all the family troubles. My deceased grandma inherited 5000 so an Illinois estate affadivit has to be made to claim the money, which is to be divided three ways among my mom and her two sisters. Presently the only remaining money is in a joint checking, which is now solely in my mom's name.Question 1: I lived with and cared for my grandma about 20 months. My grandfather paid me till he died after living with them about 5 months. I continued living with my dementia grandma for about 15 months. Can she pay me from that checking for lost wages? I am not sure if she is dividing the money between her sisters, but do I have a right to put in a claim and be paid from that checking? If I don't put in a claim can my mom just pay me from the checking?My deceased grandma inherited 5000 so an Illinois estate affadivit has to be made to claim the money, which is to be divided three ways among my mom and her two sisters. Presently the only remaining money is in a joint checking, which is now solely in my mom's name.Question 2: My mom told the estate lawyer it wasn't worth the lawyer costs to even fill out a small estate affidavit. My aunts hired their own lawyer. The estate lawyer said mom had to sign it because she had two sisters. Does mom legally have to sign the Illinois estate small affidavit? If so, can all three daughters of grandma's sign it? Mom does not like the way the last paragraph of the Illinois estate affidavit reads.One last question: In your opinoin, I emailed an estate lawyer that grandma died. Am I responsible to pay that bill or should it come from the checking mom has been paying bills out of?Loren, you have been accurate on all your responses. I appreciate that. You are the only lawyer I wish to communicate with.Thank you.
3/19/2018
Loren, Attorney

Is the inherited money currently in your mother's joint account?

No, the Illinois small estate affidavit has not been signed. Therefore, a check for around 1,666 has not been given to each of grandma's 3 daughters.The affidavit has been made for the $5000 inherited money. There is a line on the affidavit for claims. That is where I wonder if I could legally put in my claim for 15 months of unpaid care when I gave up much of my employment.Also, does my mom have to solely sign that affidavit? If so, can all grandma's 3 daughters be made to sign it? Mom does not like the last paragraph of the affidavit.There was no beneficiaries named on the checking so the checking is just in mom's name now. The claim would be over $5000 so could she pay the balance out of checking if I can legally put in the claim?Thanks,

If there was an agreement that you would receive compensation for caregiving then you can put in the claim. Otherwise, you can not make the claim on your own initiative if there was not a prior agreement in place.

Only your mother should sign the affidavit.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney