Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can you tell me who would inherit the estate of a single…

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me who would inherit the estate of a single person who passes and does not have a Will and has no living parents or siblings. I am the cousin of this person. I had POA for this individual. This is in Wisconsin.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Do you mean POA docs?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
3/19/2018
Estate Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
If your cousin dies leaving no will, the following is a summary of the rules for distributing their assets.Under the 2011 Wisconsin Code Chapter 852.01 Basic rules for intestate succession as follows.Everything to the spouse (but see the exceptions below)
If there is no spouse, everything to the issue per stirpes. Issue means direct descendants including children, grandchildren etc. Per stirpes means that everything goes to the children if they are all living, with nothing to the grandchildren. But if Child #1 of the Decedent has passed away, the children of Child #1 (the grandchildren of Decedent) get to split Child #1’s share.
If no spouse or issue, everything goes to the parents.
If no spouse, issue or parent, then to the siblings or their issue per stirpes.
If no spouse, issue or parent or issue of parent, to the grandparents or their issue per stirpes, one half on the mother’s side and one half on the father’s side.
So if there are no surviving grandparents or their children then the cousins will inherit.Here is a link to a chart plying the succession under Wisconsin law.http://www.gustafsonlegal.com/WI_IntestateSuccessionChart.pdfI hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer