Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can an estate lawyer charge 5% on a rolled over inherited…

Can an estate lawyer...

Can an estate lawyer charge 5% on a rolled over inherited IRA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Penna.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

His word of mouth

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, can he also charge a fee on a life insurance policy with no named beneficiary that was turned over to the estate

3/19/2018
Nate, Attorney

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Estate fees are set by Pennsylvania law. The fee allowed depends on the size of the estate. That would include any retirement accounts and life insurance policies without beneficiaries.

A 5% fee is appropriate for an estate with a value of between $50,000.01 and $100,000.00. The fee allowed goes down as the value of the estate goes up. The Pennsylvania fee table is copied below for your reference.

$0.01 to $25,000.00 7% $1,750.00 $1,750.00

$25,000.01 to $50,000.00 6% $1,500.00 $3,250.00

$50,000.01 to $100,000.00 5% $2,500.00 $5,750.00

$100,000.01 to $200,000.00 4% $4,000.00 $9,750.00

$200,000.01 to $1,000,000.00 3% $24,000.00 $33,750.00

$1,000,000.01 to $2,000,000.00 2% $20,000.00 $53,750.00

$2,000,000.01 to $3,000,000.00 1.5% $15,000.00 $68,750.00

$3,000,000.01 to $4,000,000.00 1% $10,000.00 $78,750.00

Nate, Attorney