Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If a trust is set up in south Carolina and the beneficiary…

Customer Question
If a trust is...

If a trust is set up in south Carolina and the beneficiary lives in virginia, what state return is required

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The beneficiary used to live in south Carolina when the Revocable Trust became Irrevocable. Wife was beneficiary. South Carolina Trust tax return was filed. then in 2017 wife moved to Virginia. What state tax return is required?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

The answer to your question is going to be VA. Although the trust was set up according to SC state law, the fact that the party in VA is receiving the property during the fiscal year means that they will have to file a state return in the state of Virginia and not south carolina. The law basis whether you have to file a return on whether you received income from a trust, job, investment, etc. in the state you're living in.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer