Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Joint account with deceased parent but money intended to be…

Customer Question
Joint account with deceased...

Joint account with deceased parent but money intended to be distributed equally among siblings. Can I transfer this money to the estate account

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Ny

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None, just verbal

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/18/2018
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

As a general rule, the joint owner of the account will be the sole owner of the account after other joint owners die.

This occurs automatically, outside of probate.

So, the money is yours, as the surviving joint owner, and you can do with it as you please, including distributing all or a portion of it to your siblings, or keeping all of it for yourself. It is your money.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.