Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

A deceased person's taxable IRA in included in her revocable…

Customer Question
A deceased person's taxable...

A deceased person's taxable IRA in included in her revocable living trust.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Can the tax be paid by the beneficiaries or is it paid by the trust? The tax on the 1040 returns of the beneficiaries would be less. The entire principal will be distributed within a year of death. State of Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The trust document. I am the trustee. The trust contains a paragraph which reads: Power of trustee includes the power and discretion to "perform other similar and dissimilar acts which the Trustee deems to be for the benefit of Grantor's estate, the trust estate established under this instrument, or the various beneficiaries thereof, whether or not such acts be hereinabove specifically set forth." Do I have the right to pass tax to beneficiaries on their 1040's?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. This is really the only issue.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You could have this pass to them and they pay the taxes here.You would want to do this as soon as you can so they are able to do tax planning and possibly lower their taxes.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Can you refer me to a particular website or IRS publication which I can use to support your position? I need to be able to defend my decision. Thanks.