Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

In 2011, my husband passed away & my daughter ask me to move…

Customer Question
In 2011, my husband...

In 2011, my husband passed away & my daughter ask me to move in with her, her Husband and & 3 sons. In 2015, my daughter & her husband wanted to buy the House that they were renting, she asked me if she can use my savings as her savings to get approved, I told her yes, because it’s under her name anyway, if approved she can use my money for a down payment. We’ll, they did not get approved & it was sold to somebody else & we have to move. I have a Wells Fargo account for many years , more than 15 years, & in 2011 to make it easier to pay rent, she open an account under her name only with the understanding that I will be able to access it online to be able to transfer $700 rent under checking will be my account which I name Nats checking & under savings will be under her account which we name Jill’s rent. I was asked to transfer my rent there but she changed her mind instead she wanted me to transfer it to her account at pacific credit union, which I have been doing since year 2011 until we moved & now she wants me to transfer rent
Under Jill’s rent at Wells Fargo which I did for a while until she want me to transfer it to her San Mateo credit union. All this years I’ve been able to access Jill’s Wells Fargo account, changed password, notify Jill of password ***** & since 2011, I’ve been depositing & transferring money, from my own Wells Fargo account to Nats checking at Jill’s Wells Fargo account. In 2015 my brother gave my share from a sale of a lot in the Philippines, I bought a car & paid cash for it, gave Jill $3,000, deposited it in her account under Jill’s rent , and put the rest in Nats checking account under Jill’s Wells Fargo account. In 2015, Jill withdraw all her money under Jill’s rent & only left $600.Last month, February 5th, I am not able to access Jill’s Wells Fargo account to check on my $35,000. I wanted to transfer some money to my Wells Fargo account to pay my capital bank bill.
For some reason it was asking for Jill’s social security number to change the password, I called my daughter at work she said she will changed it when she comes home from work & will let me know. The next morning I asked her & she said she’s busy, I said I wanted to transfer some money to pay bills, she said how much do I need, I now know she does not want me to access the account. She’s also saying that in the $35,000 is mostly rent money, in other words she’s telling me I deposited rent into the $35,000. I went back to my Wells Fargo statement from 2011 when I first paid her rent and all of rent was paid to her account in pacific service credit union.She now have my savings.How do I get my money?All these years it will show I have been transferring money back and forth from my Nats Wells Fargo account to Jill’s Wells Fargo account. It will also show my large deposit in Nats checking & transferred to Jill’s Wells Fargo account.Please help!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Philippine lawyer about this?

Why, I’m a us citizen, my daughter was born here

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/18/2018
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. Please ignore the questions with regard to citizenship.

This is your money and you have a right to know what is going on with your money. The issue is gaining access to the account which your daughter is not willing to provide. If you cannot come to an agreement with this would require a court order as the account is in her name alone. Where are you residing presently?