Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If a sole trustee asked a successor trustee to renounce

Customer Question
himself because she wanted to...
If a sole trustee asked a successor trustee to renounce himself because she wanted to hire a company co-trustee and he did this. Then the trustee that asked him to do this resigned and left it with a crappy crappy company. Would the successor trustee that the grantor and settlor picked be able to re-instate themselves if we asked the court? If you need further clairification, i can provide. It's not as complicated as it sounds.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
hello, is anyone going to answer?
3/17/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes you would need lawyer to petition the court to remove the successor trustee and reinstate you.It is possible if you can show the successor is incompetent or self dealing, etc and you are a better choice.The court has the power to reinstate you here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Lawyer Referral ServicesReturn to LSNJLAW

Atlantic County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Atlantic County Court House

*****

Atlantic City, NJ 08401

(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.atcobar.org

Essex County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

354 Eisenhower Pkwy. Plaza II

Livingston, NJ 07039

(###) ###-#### Fax:(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.essexbar.com

Bergen County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

15Bergen Street

Hackensack, NJ

(###) ###-####/p>

Gloucester County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Justice Complex, PO Box 338

Woodbury, NJ 08096

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Burlington County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****/p>

Mount Holly, NJ 08060

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Hudson County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****/p>

Jersey City, NJ 07306

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Camden County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

1040 Kings Hwy. No., Suite 201

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.camdencountybar.org

Hunterdon County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

PO Box 573

Annandale, NJ 08801

908-236-619; Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.huntcolaw.org

Cape May County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Rt. 9, Main Street, PO Box 425

Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Mercer County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

1245 White Horse Mercerville Road, Suite 420

Hamilton, NJ ###-##-####/p>(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Cumberland County

Lawyer Referral Service

PO Box 2374

Vineland, NJ 08362

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Middlesex County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****/p>

New Brunswick, NJ 08901

(###) ###-####/p>

Web site: www.mcbalaw.com

Monmouth County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Courthouse

Freehold, NJ 07728

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Morris/Sussex County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

28 Schuler Pl.

Morristown, NJ 07960

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Ocean County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Courthouse

PO Box 381

Toms River, NJ 08753

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Union County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

Courthouse, 1st Floor

Elizabeth, NJ 07207

(###) ###-#### Fax(###) ###-####/p>

Mon-Thurs, 10: A.M. – 1 P.M.

Warren County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****

Belvidere, NJ 07823

(###) ###-####/p>

E-mail: *****@******.***

Somerset County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

20 N. Bridge Street, PO Box 1095

Courthouse, 5th Floor

Somerville, NJ 08876

E-mail: *****@******.***

Web site: www.somersetbar.com

Passaic County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

*****, Courthouse, 2nd Floor

Paterson, NJ 07505

Salem County Bar Association

Lawyer Referral Service

(###) ###-####/p>

Law for reference

015 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 3B - ADMINISTRATION OF ESTATES--DECEDENTS AND OTHERS
Section 3B:31-51 - Removal of trustee.

Universal Citation: NJ Rev Stat § 3B:31-51 (2015)

3B:31-51 Removal of trustee.
3B:31-51. Removal of Trustee.

a.The settlor, a co-trustee, or a beneficiary may request the court to remove a trustee, or a trustee may be removed by the court on its own initiative.

b.The court may remove a trustee for any of the reasons stated in N.J.S.3B:14-21.

c.Pending a final decision on a request to remove a trustee, or in lieu of or in addition to removing a trustee, the court may order such appropriate relief as may be necessary to protect the trust property or the interests of the beneficiaries.

Okay but I think you miss understood. Not me, but reinstate someone who in the past renounced themselves but not decided that they would be willing to serve again. The old trustee who breached and was removed asked him and he felt pressured but now he is saying he is willing too again because grantor was his friend. Can his renouncing being turned back, he was a listed successor

Only through the courts.And he will need a lawyer to file here, it is bound to be opposed.The only way to reinstate is the judge finding they are not acting properly and need to be removed.You cannot just reinstate, the judge in a petition has to do this.It is not easy,they would need a lawyer.

No he did not resign. The old sole trustee asked him to renounce himself as successor trustee. He didn't resign. I'm not grasping I don't think what your saying. He was never an actual trustee. He was listed as a successor trustee. but the current one resigned.
Oh wait, I mean yes, this company is incompentent and being asked to resign we are just thinking of a new successor to be put in place and he might be willing.

So he renounced, he would have to petition the court to remove the successor and appoint him.

If you can get successor to resing it would be easier but he would still have to have courts appoint him since he renounced.

Also, we asked this horrifying bank company in PA to resign in a letter. and they just called and were extremely unprofessional and said no not going to with no letter and no explanation...just no and laughter. I had one attorney say that she never not got a letter in return and thought it to be unprofessional and said not to take that as an answer. You want a letter from whomever made this decision. I wanted your opinion on what to do about this. IT's more of the same incompetentness
Oh and what is self-dealings examples that a bank could do.?

You would have to show they are overbilling, mismanaging funds, self dealing, etc.Again this will be contested so they would need lawyer if you want to fight to remove the successor trustee.Thanks

Did you see what I wrote above about the letter and their response?

Yes you are going to have to file with courts and argue wrongdoing here.

i'm sorry you keep mentioning self dealing. What is that again
also one other question regarding this case. When the co-trustee resigned there was a self dealing. The corporate co-trustee was involved. The authorized what I call a self dealing, maybe it's not but they too a front end load out of my son's trust unnecessarily right before he goes to college. And the co-trustee resigned and I didn't hold the corporate trustee liable. But now they are sole trustee and it is bleeding over and they continue to be incompentent and untrust worthy regarding the trust and they are trying to say that I can't bring up the past mishap because I released them of it. Just because I was kind enough to do so doesn't mean this relationship is salvagable at this point and I do believe I can bring that up, even though I released them of it in the past. NO?
can you let me know if your not going to answer this last part of my case?