Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Dividing Grandmas savings to grandchildren. Two

Customer Question
Dividing Grandmas savings to...

Dividing Grandmas savings to grandchildren. Two grandchildren on her sons side and Three grandchildren on her daughters side. Should I divide in 5 equal parts or 50% to her sons children and 50% to her Daughters children

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

No probate due to all other personal things had been dispersed prior to her passing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Life insurance annuities have been divided and completed for grandchildren as well.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/17/2018
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney and I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Was the savings specifically devised to the grandchildren?

She wanted her savings to be divided to her son and daughter then in the event happened to them to their children. Her son and daughter passed prior to her passing
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok thank you. Technically you are under no obligation to divide the money a certain way. However, since the money was to be divided 50/50 to the children, you should divide the son's 50% between his two children and the daughter's 50% between her 3 children.

Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!