Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My grandmother named me as executor of her estate but all of…

My grandmother named me...

My grandmother named me as executor of her estate but all of her financial assets have PODs or beneficiaries leaving no funds to the estate to pay funeral expenses & other estate expenses

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Everything from the will, and all financial accounts listing my father 50% heir and mydeceased uncle's two adult children each receiving 25% each. No funds were put into an estate account or payable to her estate. I paid for her burial expenses on my personal credit card

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not really as I am personally in financial disaster just trying to carry out her wishes

3/17/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

First, unfortunately, you must look to the estate to be reimbursed for funeral expenses. I understand there are no funds in the estate. You may not look to the POD accounts for payment. You have a few options. You may go to the beneficiaries and ask for help paying the bill. They are not required to but many times family members will help with the costs. The next option is whether she is entitled to a tax refund. If so, you may claim the refund.

If your grandmother received a pension or death benefit through her employer, you will want to look into a potential pension scheme offering help with funeral costs and/or death benefits earned through the deceased's employment.

Jessica B
Ok thank you. I just wanted to check one last time before submitting my inventory & appraisal required for probate

No problem. Thank you!