Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I received another letter from Lucica Muresan of Road Adult…

Hello, I received another letter from...
I received another letter from Lucica Muresan of King Road Adult Care Home in Milwaukie, OR in which she is demanding payment from me because I signed forms as POA for the 10 days my mother spent in her care home. My mother spent 10 days there before she died. (Please read my letter to Lucica dated 1/26/18. It explains the situation). I have also attached the original December 9th invoice, January 4th invoice and January 18th invoice.My mom's bank recently distributed a check to me for $1500 as her beneficiary. We are still in the process with Oregon Medicaid. I have asked OR Medicaid to reach out to Lucica to let her know my mom's case is being processed. My mom was on Washington Medicaid for 5 years before we brought her to Oregon where she spent her final 10 days.Please review the documents I signed and advise me if I am in danger of being sued by her. I know you let me know previously that POA ends at death, but I would like confirmation from your review of the forms I signed that I am not personally responsible to pay out of my pocket.If it is indeed the case that I am not legally liable to pay out of my pocket, could you please advise how to respond to her threat of lawsuit against me.Thank you,
***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please see attached.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Admission Agreement is attached
3/16/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

This is not your debt.You can respond here that your parent died insolvent that any POA ceased at time of death.If she sues you it is your intent to counterclaim and seek legal fees and damages.This is not my debt, I did not guarantee payment personally.The debt unfortunately is collectable because she was insolvent and no probate.Something like that.Since you did not sign anything personally you aren't legally contracted to pay anything.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I apologize for asking, I know that generally speaking POA ends at death, but I just needed reassurance that you reviewed the Admission form I signed and that I did not make a mistake on any of my signatures, which would make me personally responsible.

I saw nothing that would make you personally liable here.They are really trying to harass you into paying.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much.Have a great weekend.

You too..

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney