Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I don't know if you can answer this? My mother died 1/9/18…

I don't know if...

I don't know if you can answer this ? My mother died 1/9/18 and she had no money. I have a joint Account with her at a credit union 200 miles away. Her Term Life Ins refunded $8.62 check and the nursing home sent a payment of 167.00 for her glasses they lost. Both checks say pay to the order of "My mother's name" % of my name.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Like financial POA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She also has an $82.oo Representative payee account at the same credit union which I was told has to go through probate to get. Not sure it is worth it? So what do i do with the account?

3/16/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Loren, Attorney
Phone call session started

Step 1 – At the top of the form, write in the full name of the person who died.

Step 2 – In Section 1, write in your status as the person filling out the form.

Step 3 – In Section 2, fill in the address of the person who died at that time of their death. This would be their residential address, not a hospital address, if they died at a hospital.

Step 4 – Write in what property you are entitled to.

Step 5 – Write in the names, addresses, relationships to decedent and share of decedent;s property each heir is entitled to.

Step 6 – Sign and date in front of a notary and make sure to attach a certified death certificate to the document.

I need help to compete your #4 above What do I specifically need to list for property? The checks & amounts? How do I get the $ in the Rep Payee Acount ?

Yes, write the checks and the amounts.

You can estimate the check from the Rep Payee Account or state it as TBD, but not to exceed an estimated amount.

How do I sign the chec? Do I include her name?

Yes, your name for the estate of (your mother's name).