Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have a question. My mother passed with no will, no estate.

I have a question...

I have a question. My mother passed with no will, no estate. The only assets she had was a vehicle. She passed in PA, but I reside in NC. The vehicle was and is titled in her name, I had paid a portion of the bill every month while she was alive and have since moved the loan into my name through Carmax. Carmax claimed they would help with the titling, but say that I need a Letters of Admin for NC, before they transfer the title to me. I have a brother and sister that signed off for any rights to the vehicle. I have tried to contact both PA DMV and NC DMV in regards ***** ***** title, and keep getting told to check the other state. If I default on the loan, this will drastically affect my credit, can someone please give me some accurate advice??

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I reside in NC, car is titled in PA in my mother's name and being held by Carmax until it can be transferred. My mother passed in PA

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Death certificate, payment history, loan paperwork, signatures of my brother and sister releasing their rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is the charges?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Estate Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Ok

3/16/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You will have to file a "small estate" petition where you basically fill out a couple forms, have them notarized and filed with the probate court in the county where mother lived, and then the form will give you the legal authority to take possession of any personal property (i.e. the car) that she had up to $50,000 and transfer it directly to the heirs.

.

The Pennsylvania small estate affidavit is for use when a decedent has died with $50,000 or less value in assets. It can only be used 60 days after a decedent has passed away and it may only be used by the first successor, whether it be a spouse, or a child, if there is not spouse, or a parent. This provides a expeditious method of gathering assets in a small estate without having to go through the complications of a formal probate administration.

.

This is what one looks like: PA Small Estate Affidavit

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One problem, she passed in Feb. of 2016

That is not a problem... it has to be at least 60 days after she passed... meaning you can't use it before 60 days..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, appreciate the info. Thank you!
Barrister, Attorney