Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Mom died without a Executor. She has a cancer policy

My Mom died without...

My Mom died without a Executor. She has a cancer policy without beneficiaries. We have received 2 checks totaling less than $4000 made out to the estate of Ramona Jennings. Can we get a letter of testamentary or small estate affidavit without going through the courts?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

KY

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the original cancer document. Death certificate. Will/health directive for Son to be POA. I know that is void now that she has passed. GE for Life Insurance with beneficiaries listed which we are having no problems with. Just the $4000. She has no other assests.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

3/16/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

Yes, if your mother's estate does not exceed $15,000, you can fill out a small estate affidavit, file it with the court and present it to the bank to deposit the checks.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney