Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Do I need to probate a will in NY in which decedent only…

Customer Question
Do I need to probate...
Do I need to probate a will in NY in which decedent only property being given through the will is real estate. I am the executor but also the beneficiary of the house.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/16/2018
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is the real estate still in the name of the decedent?

.

.

thanks

Then yes you have to go through probate because the only person who can sign a deed from the estate to you is the executor of the estate. And that person only gains legal authority to do so after they are appointed by a probate court judge. and the only way a probate court judge will appoint them is if someone files a probate case to be appointed and settle the estate.

.

.

thanks

Are you in NY?

No, and if I were, unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need local counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much