Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed away on 2/21 how do I file for death

Customer Question
benefits...
My mother passed away on 2/21 how do I file for death benefits
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/15/2018
Estate Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
How old are you?
A death benefit is a $255.00 lump sum, paid upon the death of a person who worked long enough to qualify for Social Security benefits. It goes to a surviving spouse who was living in the person's household at the time of death, or, if living apart, was receiving certain Social Security benefits on the deceased's record.Another benefit available is to unmarried children who are under 18 (up to age 19 if attending elementary or high school full time). Yioy can be eligible to receive up to 75 percent of your deceased parent's basic Social Security benefit.As a qualified child over 18, you can also get benefits if you were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with starsIf there's no eligible spouse, the $255 goes to a child who is eligible for benefits on the person's record in the month of death.
She Lived with me and I was her POA does that mean I get it the 255

Yes. However, For Social Security survivors benefits, the Social Security Administration does not keep any list of qualifying survivors. After someone dies who has been entitled to Social Security benefits, that person's qualifying survivor, you, must bring evidence of your r relationship to the deceased to the local Social Security office.

The evidence could include a birth certificate, death certificate and Social Security numbers. The Social Security system then verifies the relationship and determines how much is payable in survivors benefits.

You should call call 1-***-***-**** or go to your local Social Security office to be added as a qualifying survivor. I hope this further clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars

If you have any additional questions please just ask