Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mom is considered an Incapacitated person and a of state…

Customer Question
My mom is considered...

My mom is considered an Incapacitated person and a ward of state of Texas. I have been notified that my mom had not changed house in her name, after my dads death. So, I was notified that her children will split proceeeds of my fathers half of home. There were four kids during the marriage and three died leaving me as only child. Two of my brothers had seven children between them. I’ve received paperwork to sign in order to agree on gross proceed and according to DADS it was to be split according to laws in Texas. I’ve received the paperwork and noticed that the amount are grossly incorrect . I now sent it back , but needed some advise on some wording in the contract .

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

No I haven’t ..

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

The house is under contract to sell, and I have received my legal papers to sign the house over

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
How Should my fathers proceeds from house be divided between me and my brothers 7 surviving children
3/15/2018
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session.

I need a little more information. Are the proceeds from the sale of the home being paid to your father's estate or directly to his heirs?

The proceeds from house are being paid to heirs.
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok the next step in the analysis is which of his children died before him. Do you have that information?

one brother died before him.
No, I’m sorry none did
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok since no one died before him, all of his natural born children are entitled to an equal share. For the children who have died, their estates will inherit their portion of the proceeds.

Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

So based on the facts you have provided, the proceeds will be divided 1/4 to you, and 1/4 to each of your siblings estates.

Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago

Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!