Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My Mother just passed away and named me and my brothers as…

My Mother just passed away...
My Mother just passed away and named me and my brothers as executors of her estate. The estate is relatively small 126k in brokerage accounts including life insurance. most everything has named beneficiaries. The estate also has her home worth 300k. total outstanding estate dept is 60K. My brother thinks we can handle everything without and attorney I'm leaning toward getting one. What is your opinion
3/15/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Having an attorney would make the handling of the estate easier and faster, although you would have to pay for the services.

On the other hand, if there are no disagreements or projected disagreements and if everyone is on the same page and if someone is willing to do all the paperwork (that's a lot of "if") then the estate could save some money.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
If we send letters to her creditors with death certificate ... credit cards, auto loan financing etc. Will the creditors continue to charge her accounts any interest?