Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father bought an insurance policy to insure my sister's…

Customer Question
My father bought an...

My father bought an insurance policy to insure my sister's life, and paid all the premiums until his recent death. He was the only beneficiary. Both she and my brother want to cash out the policy. Who gets that money? I say my sister gets all of it. My brother says it's part of the estate, to be split among the four of us. (There's another brother.)

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Dad lived and died in Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The insurance policy.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing about the policy was mentioned in Dad's will.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/15/2018
Estate Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you! ***** need to know whether there was a contingent owner listed on the policy?