Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother passd away on Feb 8, 2018. He was divorced and…

My brother passd away...

My brother passd away on Feb 8, 2018. He was divorced and has one adult daughter from the marriage. Who would be considered the next of kin, his mother or his daughter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

We are trying to obtain his property in Nevada and we don't know where to begin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm presently located in the State of Georgia and just need to know what I must first due in order to be able to retrieve his belongings and if I have any standing. He lived in an apartement and I was told in order to gain his belongings I needed to have a affidavit of next of kin. We were not allowed access before we obtain death certificate. We now have a death certificate. My mother paid for his funeral on Feb 26, 2018 and has since received death certificates.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

Under Nevada law his daughter is his closest heir and the one designated to inherit his property. Your mother has a claim against the estate for the cost of the funeral she paid. It is a priority claim.

Unless there is a will specifying otherwise, his daughter, as his sole heir, is entitled to inherit the entire estate.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Thank you!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney

Are you still online with me?