Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed away 6 mos ago at the age of 96. she was in…

My mother passed away...

My mother passed away 6 mos ago at the age of 96. she was in a nursing home. Is there certain amount of an estate in which you do not have to probate the will in PA?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Not sure what you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My mother & I had a joint bank account worth $5,000. She had $1,000 worth of stock and a $1,000 life insurance policy.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Okay, I'll continue online
No, my mother didn't have any "real estate" she didn't have much - I want to continue online
Are you there?

My condolences for your loss.

The joint bank account passes to you automatically, outside of probate, as the surviving joint owner.

The insurance policy pays out to the named beneficiary, also outside of probate (unless the estate is the beneficiary).

If the stocks are in a jointly owned account, they may pass to you automatically, as well. Otherwise, Pennsylvania allows you to use a small estate affidavit for estates valued under $11k. Simply fill it out and present it to the bank or broker.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Yes, I am with you. Can you see my answer?

Loren, Attorney
Thank you, ***** ***** very helpful.

You are very welcome. Thank you for using JA.