Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I just have a quick question I bought land in WV with

Hello, I just have...

Hello, I just have a quick question I bought land in WV with someone else 15 years ago and we are no longer together the property was paid for in full day of sale. The deed has never been changed still in both of our names but he recently got married and now she states she can sue me for my half of the property? only thing I think they could do is split taxes with me ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a WV lawyer about this?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that's it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Where both names on deed, each has a 50% interest. Neither may sue the other to cliam the other half, but often one will buy the other out for fair market value.

both names on deed at 50% interest. The deed is set up were if I die he gets property and if he dies I get property. No one can inherit.

Yes, but where both alive, each maintains the 50 percent!

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Thank you for your help.

Very welcome. Kindly rate me 5 stars

Infolawyer, Attorney