Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

In Kansas, are spouses responsible for the medical debts of…

Customer Question
In Kansas, are spouses...

In Kansas, are spouses responsible for the medical debts of a deceased spouse

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Bills from the hospital that have been transferred to me a third party collection agency

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Kansas, he had 3 hospital bills from 2016 and died 2-7-18

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/14/2018
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

This is called the doctrine of necessities and Kansas does require each spouse to support the other when it comes to necessities of life such as health and medical needs; please see:

http://www.kscourts.org/cases-and-opinions/opinions/CtApp/2016/20161028/115028.pdf

As such the creditor may go after the decedent's estate or the decedent's spouse.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.