Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

In Massachusetts law, given a presumption of paternity owing…

In Massachusetts law, given a...
In Massachusetts law, given a presumption of paternity owing to a child being born in-wedlock, but with DNA that shows the child is not biologically related to the presumptive father, would such a child inherit through (as opposed to from) that presumptive father, say from a grandmother of the presumptive father who left assets to her issue?
3/14/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Because the child was born in wedlock, they will get all the same rights as a child who is biologically related to the father. So, yes, they would still be able to inherit from a grandparent unless paternity had been disestablished at some point before it became too late.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney