Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If the trustee of an estate wants to purchase the home that…

If the trustee of...

If the trustee of an estate wants to purchase the home that is part of the estate do you typically lower the selling price by 7% to allow for the relator fees that you will save by not listing the home?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Appraisal at time of death

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

It is negotiable, but there is a reasonable argument to reducing the price slightly to account for the savings of commission.

The only requirement is that the trustee has a fiduciary duty to pay the market value, but a price discount for the lack of commission is not unreasonable.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney