Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father just passed away. He retired medically from

My father just passed...

My father just passed away. He retired medically from Chrysler Corp. His beneficiary is my uncle and I am the contingent beneficiary. My uncle wants to sign off his rights so that I am the primary beneficiary. I'm not sure how to do that and MetLife said they cannot answer any questions until the get a claim number assigned (next week). I live in California an go back home tonight so I need to handle any and all paperwork before I leave because my uncle doesn't get around very well so I would have to take any paperwork to him. What are your thoughts on how to handle this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

On what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have the paperwork for his benefits

3/14/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Your unclaim can send a notarized letter to metlife indicating he is disclaiming any rights under the policy, and intends any such benefit to pass fully to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that a legal document or just a notarized letter?

Notarized letter is sufficient.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

Very welcome. Kindly rate me 5 stars

Infolawyer, Attorney
Infolawyer, Attorney