Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother died suddenly in 2006 while visiting my half

Customer Question
My mother died suddenly...

My mother died suddenly in 2006 while visiting my half sister who was not blood related to my mother nor was she adopted. The hospital where my mother died allowed my half sister to decide and give permission for the autopsy. They also released my mother's medical records to her.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I didn't know how to handle it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My mother lived with me in Arizona at the time but visited Ohio.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/15/2018
Estate Lawyer: Michelle-Mod, Moderator replied 5 months ago
Michelle-Mod
Michelle-Mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
I would like ro know what course of action i can take against the hospital and possibly against my half sister.
Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Good afternoon. There is no legal action tthat you can take at this late date. The violation of privacy by the hospital is a violation of a federal statute and Mike subject the hospital the penalties, but it would not award you anything. Also, any action that might have been taken against half-sister is now barred by the statute of limitations.

The Ohio tort statute of limitations is two years.

Can i take action against thw hospital for releasing records to non family member?
Can i take action against my half sister for falsifying who she was in relation to my mother?

No there isn't. If you believe that a HIPAA-covered entity or its business associate violated your (or someone else's) health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the Privacy, Security, or Breach Notification Rules, you may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). but I do not believe that they will hear a complaint about something that occurred 12 years ago.

Please don't forget to enter a rating (hopefully ‘Five Star’) by clicking one of the boxes at the top of this reply. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.