Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I'm wondering if my wife and I should make a will or a

I'm wondering if my...

I'm wondering if my wife and I should make a will or a living trust ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None . I have no idea where to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope . Just that I don't have a clue

3/13/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. The purpose of a living trust is to avoid probate. In some states that's really not necessary as probate is neither difficult or expensive; but, in others that require supervised administration of estates, a living trust is a good idea. California is one of the state where a living trust is a good idea. So, yes, I would suggest a living trust. But, it's important to get any assets that would otherwise be probate assets transferred to the living trust during your life so the trust owns the assets at death. To protect yourself in case you don't, it's a good idea to have simple "pour over" wills that provide that any assets that didn't get transferred to the trust before you die just "pour over" to the trust with the trust provisions controlling. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by the will and thus do not require probate. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

is there an attorney in the Sacramento area you recommend?

Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. But, this is not a complicated process so you only need a 2-3 year lawyer rather than a more experienced lawyer with the higher billing rate that comes with that experience.

Richard, Attorney
Thanks !!!

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!