Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Law Educator. You helped me last week with questions about…

Customer Question
Good day, Law Educator. You...
Good day, Law Educator. You helped me last week with questions about my fathers estate. You recommended that when I make distributions to beneficiaries of the trust that I have them sign a "receipt" or document that releases me (the Trustee) from any further liability to the beneficiary. What should that "receipt" state? Can you provide or point me to a good example? Also is there a Just Answer expert who can validate your advice to me considering Ohio law, or does your experience include Ohio. I see you have Louisiana in you Experience statement.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/13/2018
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Here is sample wording, which you can modify:

I have received from ("Trustee"), as Trustee of the Trust and Trustee
of the Trust (collectively, "Trusts") what has been represented to me by the Trustee to
be a complete accounting ('Account") of [his or] her administration of the Trusts as of
I have also received a share of that certain real property ("Property") to which I am entitled under the
instruments that govern the Trusts. In consideration of my receipt of the Account and of my share of
the Property, I hereby approve, ratify, and confirm all of the acts and transactions of the Trustee set forth
in the Account, and I accept the Account as final and conclusive regarding the matters fairly represented
therein.
Questions that were raised and independently investigated have been settled or resolved.
_ I hereby approve, ratify, and confirm the distribution by the Trustee to me.
_ I hereby request the Trustee to refrain from seeking a judicial settlement of the Account.
__ I hereby release and discharge the Trustee, both in [his] [her] capacity as Trustee and individually,
from any and all claims, liability, responsibility, and accountability for or by reason of [his] [her] acts and
transactions in the administration of the Trusts during the period of time covered by the Account.
__ I hereby undertake and agree to pay and be responsible for my pro rata share of all unknown claims
and liabilities of any kind (including, but not by way of limitation, any tax claims arising from the Trustee's
distribution of property of the Trusts) that may be asserted or established against Trustee, either as Trustee
or individually by reason of [his] [her] being or having been such Trustee, together with any interest and/
or penalties thereon and any costs, expenses, and attorneys' fees reasonably incurred by the Trustee in
connection therewith to the extent that such claims, liabilities, interest, penalties, cost, expenses, and/or
attorneys' fees would be properly chargeable against the property of the Trusts.
This instrument will be binding upon and inure to the benefit of me and the Trustee and our respective
heirs, personal representatives, successors, and assigns.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have executed this instrument as of the __ day of
[NOTARY ACKNOWLEDGMENT]

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Does your experience include work or licensing in Ohio so I can be confident your advice includes Ohio law?

Thank you for your reply.

Please read the site terms, we do not represent anyone from this site, I am not licensed in OH, I am licensed in 4 other states and I am not here to represent you.

The language you were provided was the standard language used in these releases all over the US.

If you want a OH lawyer, please make an appointment at a local attorney's office and I am sure they will be glad to take your case on and write this for you.