Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband just died. We were married for 12 years. He had a…

Customer Question
My husband just died...

My husband just died. We were married for 12 years. He had a life insurance policy of $75,000. In a divorce decree of his and ex wife’s it states that first wife only get $25,000. She is the only beneficiary on policy. He always told me the $50,000 goes to me. The insurance company is making me jump through hoops. They said because there is two states in volved, California and Minnesota. I have to get an approval letter signed by ex wife and his two children. (His two children NEVER contacted him in the two years he was sick). I find this hard to accomplish because of thier relationship with me. Help

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the divorce decree and I have sent that to the insurance company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need help. Sounds selfish but I need the money to live. She got 3/4 of all he’s assets in divorce. She is very comfortable. His daughter is a restaurant owner and is worth millions

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/12/2018
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
I am sorry for your loss.
what can I answer for you?
I need to know if I am the beneficiary after his first wife is awarded the amount given to her in the divorce decree. The insurance said because of the two states involved I would have to get a approval signature from his ex wife and two his two children
Can you help me on line or do I have to pay another $59 ?
Is anyone there??
I want my original $55 dollars back!! Because of no responce