Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

State of South Carolina. My mother passed a way about 14…

Customer Question
This is for the...

This is for the state of South Carolina. My mother passed a way about 14 months ago and left my twin brother and I everything in her will. There was stocks and bonds that were in our names and they have since been transferred and made in to accounts for both of us. There is also probate items of a house and a bank account. He is asking from the court for an inventory of both. I have sent his lawyer the non probate and the court has the probate so I thought this to be settled. I guess he is setting up for a lawsuit. How difficult is it to contest a will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this moment

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/12/2018
Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm sorry for your loss.

There are three basis for contesting a will. One is that it wasn't done legally, with the appropriate witnesses and formalities. One is that your mother didn't have the mental capacity to make legal decisions at the time of drafting the will, and the third is that someone exerted improper influence over her at the time of the signing.

The issue here, though, is that you and your brother inherited everything. A will contest may not solve your problem. If the will is set aside, then your mother's estate will be divvied up as if she'd never written one. The default then, is that you and your brother would split everything equally (unless there are other siblings who weren't named). So you'd be in the same position you're in now.

Assets that were put into one of your names before she passed aren't part of the estate, so they're not affected by the will (or lack thereof). Getting the will set aside wouldn't have an impact on those assets.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?