Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

The last answer I received said the trustee could terminate,

and let my kids have...
The last answer I received said the trustee could terminate, and let my kids have their inheritance before she dies, so if one of my kids call her and asks that would be great if she agreed, thats all they need to do? I keep asking, I just want to understand .
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/12/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Is the trustee the settlor of a revocable trust?

I don't understand what your asking, what is a revocable trust, and how would I know?

If it is a revocable trust, and the terms of the trust do not provide otherwise, the trustee (who would presumably be the settlor of the trust) can simply transfer the trust assets back to themself, revoke the trust and make gifts however they want.

There are estate and gift tax considerations. So, they may want to consult an estate planner before making any changes, revocable trusts are called that for a reason.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
I feel like a dumb, dumb how do I know if it is a revocable trust?

It would likely say, but if the trustee is the same person as the one who established the trust then it is a revocable trust.