Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I just lost my fiance, in which is a was a 100% disabled…

Customer Question
Hello, I just lost...

Hello, I just lost my fiance, in which is a was a 100% disabled veteran and now that he is gone, his family is taking everything from me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing yet that I know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this moment? My name is ***** *****

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/12/2018
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Did your fiance have a will? Also, by chance, did you have a common law marriage designated as such in another state?

No
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 3 months ago

I am not sure what rights that you have to his personal belongings since you are not a family member and you were not married. The only claim you would have if the belongings are your belongings. If he owned a home and you were living there, then you could claim that furniture is yours if you pitched in for it, etc.

It doesn't matter anymore its all gone even my horses and dogs! Personal paintings....
Thank You for your help!

You are welcome. Sorry to hear. Best wishes.