Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How much does it cost to ask a question? Is total value of…

Customer Question
How much does it...

How much does it cost to ask a question?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Estate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Is total value of an estate based on values at death or values when the estate is divided up?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have appraisals of assets & a record of liabilities, but one of the people in the trust want to be "bought out".

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/11/2018
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Hello?

You would use the valuations at time of sale here .If the appraisals were done recently they would control.In a probate situation normally you use value at time of death but if a trust held the property for several years you would use the newer valuation.A trust here is different often property is held for a number of years before its sold so you have to use more correct value for fairness to all. It could be more or less.

It comes down to whether this has been say a year or less you use value at time of death, more than that you would need to update it here to current values whether more or less. I appreciate the chance to help you tonight and for your patience.If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Let me know if you have more.