Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am creating my Living Trust on Nolo. It says “However,

I am creating my Living...
I am creating my Living Trust on Nolo.
It says “However, items with title documents -- like real estate, cars or stocks -- may take a few weeks to transfer because you must have the title documents changed.”
How do I transfer the title of my house to my new trust, to whom do I take it too? Also, my car (the DMV)? Financial assets (stocks, retirement accounts, insurance policies)? Do they charge money for the transfer?
3/11/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

For your house, you She you simply need to sign a quit claim deed transferring title from yourself as grantor to your trust as grantee. The deed needs to be witnessed, notarized, and then recorded in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located. If you need a template for a quit claim deed, let me know and I'll be happy to provide you one. For your car, you do that at the DMV. And, for your stocks, you contact your broker to make the change; on the retirement accounts, contact the administrator to change the beneficiary to your trust and do the same with the insurance company for your insurance policies. No, there would be no charge for doing any of these changes other than a small recording fee for the deed to your house and maybe a small fee at the DMV.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you and yes, I would like to receive a Quick claim deed. Can you add the file here?

Sure....no worries. I have attached it for you. :)

The Quit form nullifies me as the owner but I don’t see where I can transfer the title to my trust. How/when do I do that?

You put the name of your trust in the blank. The defines the trust as the Grantee and what you are doing as grantor is transferring your interest to the Grantee (which is the trust).

Richard, Attorney
Gotcha. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.