Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed in OK 2-18-18. My younger sister who lives…

My mother passed in...

My mother passed in Moore OK 2-18-18. My younger sister who lives in Norman was

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

My younger sister who lives in Norman had guardianship over her. She told me that my Mom has no estate, however my Mom was a veteran and retired from FAA and always had IRA accounts, investments and had a car that was paid off. I have no access to any financial or personal information of my mother's. I've been told there was no Will. I have a certified copy of my mother's death certificate. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The only thing my sister informed me of were 3 life insurance policies which have been used to cover my mother's funeral and burial. I want to know if there is a way to notify Oklahoma and Cleveland County courts that I am an heir

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oklahoma I live in Arlington Texas

3/11/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Has sister actually filed a probate case to settle mother's estate or is she saying there are no assets to go through probate?

.

Do you know who the named beneficiaries of the insurance policies were?

.

Do you know who the insurance companies were that held the policies?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My sister said there was no need to probate because there was no estate. I asked her about Mom's car, and she said she thinks it was put in her name when she obtained guardianship. My sister and I are my Mom's sole heirs. She even tried to see if my step-sister who she shares a father with, could be added onto the insurance payout. My sister and I are 15years apart. My Mom has an insurance policy she set up for meI believe, before my sister was born thru VA. There was another group life policy with both our names, but I'm not sure which company. I believe my Mom had BlueCross/Blue Shield, Medicaid, Medicare but I'm not sure. My sister packed up my Mom's apartment and has all her financial records, her wallet and ID info, tax records etc and I don't know how to get this information. I don't know if there is an Executor named or if my Mom really does have a Will or not. I've been checking court cases filed since her death but I haven't been able to find anything. My sister has a lawyer friend that helped her with the Guardianship and unfortunately because we do not have a relationship, I have to find out how to find this information.

I asked her about Mom's car, and she said she thinks it was put in her name when she obtained guardianship

.

There is no "someone put it in her name",....she would have to have put it in her own name...

.

If there are insurance policies, then they go to the named beneficiaries.... they can't be paid out to anyone else. So if you are a beneficiary, the insurer can't pay the proceeds to anyone but you.. unless someone has your info and forges your signature and info on a claim form.

.

The thing is that if no one files a probate case, there is no way for you to demand any financial documents to review for mother's estate..

.

So that means that you would have to file a petition to open a probate case to be appointed Administrator of her estate. Then you would have the legal power to demand sister turn over all mother's financial records so you can see if she had any assets and where they went. If sister has done anything improper, she can be held civilly and even criminally liable.

.

.

thanks

.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I recently looked up my mother's worth I guess you would say online and it said $460,000. She used to have two condominiums in OKC and Norman that she had purchased, but they may have been sold. Is there a way for me to check and see if she has filed to be an administrator of Mom's estate? As of 3/9/18, she said she had to take her guardianship papers to the court.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate your time. I just want what my Mom would have wanted; for this process to be fair and equal and civil.

Is there a way for me to check and see if she has filed to be an administrator of Mom's estate?

.

Yes, you just call the local probate court in the county where mother lived and see if a probate case has been filed.

.

And sister's guardianship ended upon mother's death..

.

And just so you know, based on your comments about what sister is doing, my "Spidey sense" (Spiderman reference) is tingling as something doesn't feel right here...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for listening and your time! I'm going to pursue this. I feel the same way.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Have a great afternoon!

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney