Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I and my wife live in louisiana my wife's grand mother died…

I and my wife...

I and my wife live in louisiana my wife's grand mother died and also her father as well she is the only heir to her fathers estate does she inherit her fathers estate from her grandmother and there is a will but it doesn't specify

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The will was filled

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my wife is 46 yrs old
3/11/2018
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed estate attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you! I need a little more information in order to provide the correct answer. Who died first, the father or the grandmother?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
her father died first before his mother
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay ask your questions if you have any

Ok, since the father died first, then his estate would not inherit anything. In order for his estate to receive an inheritance he would have had to survive his mother. There is an exception and it depends on the language in the Will. Does it state "per stirpes" where her father is listed? If it says this, that means his share shall pass to his lineal descendants.

Do you know exactly what the Will says?

jb156200
jb156200, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let me look
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can i send you pics of the will
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

You may attach it to this conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i am attaching them now

Ok since the Will is silent, your wife has a claim for 1/4 of the estate paid to her father's estate. Her father's estate would then distribute the assets pursuant to his Will.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you very much for the answer that settles all for us to know you were very helpful
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we will have to hire a attorney on our end to handle this for her but it will be done

No problem. Please let me know if I may be of help in the future.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you again
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney