Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband passed away in March, 2017; several years ago we…

My husband passed away...

My husband passed away in March, 2017; several years ago we purchased a vehicle that was considered to be 'mine' that I used it during the day and drove it to work. I now need to get new license tags and paperwork was misplaced in move from AR back home to TN. The bank now tells me that I have to 'prove' I am executor of husband's estate, and I have no idea how to do that. I was probably given documents after his death, but was so upset then, I have no idea where they are now. Is there any way I can get control of my vehicle again; I've been driving it since 2011.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Boy you're fast! I have nothing. Our documents were normally always kept in the glove compartment of our car, but they are not there now. I may have needed them for something else and removed them, but I don't remember. We had a loan on the car; it is now PAID IN FULL, and the trustee of our bankruptcy has told Suntrust to send me my title, but they won't unless I can 'prove' I am executor.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Tennessee; I have no idea. We got the loan, and I don't know if that bank filed for a title.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What does this information cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Estate Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

It is the 'rest' that troubles me; I have been treated badly too many times. I guess I will have to see a lawyer here.

3/10/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. Did your husband leave a Will?

Are you online with me?

No he didn't; we didn't think that was necessary since both of our sons are grown and married now. and we thought everything went to the spouse anyway unless someone else had a will that disproved my rights to husband's inheritance.

No problem. Where did he reside at the time of his passing?

Tennessee.

Can you tell me the county?

Mike passed in the state of AR since he was teaching at the university there; I had his body shipped back to Tennessee and we had funeral here since our family still lived here. I moved back home to TN asap after his death.

It would appear he was residing in AR at the time of his passing. The probate division will provide you with the form you need to fill out to become the executor/personal representative of his estate for purposes of the vehicle loan. Can you tell me the county in AR?

Mike taught in McGee, AR, but we could only find place to live in Star City, AR, which is in LINCOLN COUNTY; sorry to be so long, we lived there such a short time, I had to look it up!

Please do not apologize. Take your time.

Lincoln County, AR

You will need a certified copy of his death certificate and file in Lincoln County as that would be the proper jurisdiction. Let me provide a link for the probate court. I can also provide a link for attorneys in that area that provide FREE consultations that can assist you.

I have the death certificate, and think it was filed in AR; how do I check to be sure? I would appreciate our help with link for probate court and link for attorneys in that area.

You can check with the Department of Health as far as death certificate. One moment please so I can provide the link.

I have the death certificate

Perfect. This is the link for FREE consultation Attorneys

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/probate-estate-administration/lincoln-county/arkansas

I have more for you.

I need info for Probate Court and Attorneys.

This link explains the process when a person passes away without a will while residing in AR https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/intestate-succession-arkansas.html

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney