Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed away 4 yrs ago and she didn't have a will…

My mother passed away...

My mother passed away 4 yrs ago and she didn't have a will so I had to go thru probate to keep her house, the house is now in my name only I have a older brother that has harassed me since her passing, He signed a bond waiver can her sue me he is only entitled to a 1/4 of the house if I sell.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the deed to the house and copies of the bond waiver he signed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I get order of protection on him legally?

3/9/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Is he threatening you with physical harm?

He has in the pass also other family members

Thank you for the additional information.

Without any current threat it would be difficult to get an order of protection.

If he is harassing you then have your attorney send a cease and desist letter. That could scare him and force him to back down under threat of a lawsuit for harassment.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Are you still online with me?

We have had the Police there a few times in the last month, and I was told to get the Order of Protection, but I didn't know if I could get in any trouble
Can he take me to court if he signed a Bond Waiver?

No, he has no grounds to take you to court.

Great!!! Thank you!!!

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney