Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I think our trustee (not blaming him at all) has found a…

Customer Question
I think our trustee (not...
I think our trustee (not blaming him at all) has found a lawyer that is trying to steal from our Revocable Living Trust, Shasta Count, CA
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Estate Law
3/9/2018
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning Kathy. Can you provide me a bit more detail as to what the attorney is doing? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
by the way - I don't have a fancy phone and am not responding to some program to be added to it. Senior and it's cheaper and I don't need the fancy computer phones:) So, I'm one of the beneficiaries on a Revocable Living Trust (Shasta County, CA) - I'm 3 thousand miles away from that part of the family. So, pretty much Dad Bob has property and his wishes were for them to be left as rentals, maintenance to come from the rental income - nutshell - and out of the left over funds each year the funds will be divided between 7 beneficiaries. One item in the estate is a contract to produce patented something to a very large company. One of the trustees husband has been trying to finish the contract and then per wishes pay off that contracts bills and the rest goes into the trust. Oh and there is supposed to be something like 5,000 left in the funds for any expenses for the coming year, just in case. So, the contracting company had a question and is holding up payment until it could addressed and check on legalities of the payment going to the trust and not to the dead person.... The Trustee went to a local lawyer and all of a sudden, the RLT is 'all wrong' and the trustee can't be the trustee, and we have to put everything up for sale as quickly as possible and distribute the funds among the beneficiaries. The lawyer had 2 'consultations' charged 250.00 each and the Trustee paid both times. The lawyer said 1) he is representing the trustee and not the trust or the beneficiaries 2) he was going to send the beneficiaries legal papers about the sell of the property etc which was supposed to have been sent out over a month past. 3) he never addressed the issue with the contract at all 4) he handed the Trustee a LOT of papers to sign, and was going to give him copies of everything. He was given an envelope with nothing but what he was sending us. Now, our trustee is not young - I think he is about as old as Dad Bob would have been. He is headed for hip surgery. We have not been able to obtain a response from 4 beneficiaries (ex-wife and her children) 3 of us are attempting to be sure everything is true. The Trustee has not gone alone to these meetings, so I have a couple of sources to what I'm saying. This guy doesn't seem to be up and up. What really RED FLAGS me is the rush to liquidate property and that he set up a person to inspect all the properties and provide the worth, which just happens to be a spouse of a high ranking office holder in the county to do with property. It doesn't sound correct or legal to me and all of the beneficiaries should be on board (which our trustee is doing what is right - he is doing the best he can and I DO NOT blame him in anyway for what is going on).

Thanks for responding. Your situation is a bit too complex to evaluate without reviewing the trust agreement which is beyond the scope of what I can provide in this forum. Therefore, I am not confident I can provide a complete and accurate assessment. Therefore, I am going to opt out to open your question up to all experts so another expert can hopefully timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney