Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I received a revocable trust notice after my mothers death…

I received a revocable...

I received a revocable trust notice after my mothers death that states there is no interest in this trust for me. This is from the trust company she hired. I don't know what that means

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

She lived in Indiana i live in south carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The documents from the national bank of Indianapolis in trust legal tax and estate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was told that i was part of the trust now this trust company tells me there is no provisions for me in the trust?

3/9/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Consider asking the trustee to see the trust instrument, which is the document which controls the trust. "No interest" or "no provisions" means that you are not allotted anything in the trust. Whatever was promised to you verbally is not binding; it is the trust instrument which counts.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just wanted to know what it means. I hold no ill will toward anyone just want answers. I have called the trust company to find out why they bothered to send me the notice if there were no provisions for me. She said it is the law or more like a slap in the face.

I am afraid this is actually pretty common; relatives will say that you are provided for in the trust, but really you are not.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have that kind of money to spend $60 dollars on a phone call. If you need to ask me questions about the paperwork i can tell you what it say

. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.) No, I do not need to ask any more questions.

My last reply was:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is a section that says, pursuant to Indiana code 30-4-6-14(a) a person must commence a judicial proceeding to contest the validity of a trust that was revocable at the settlor's death within the earlier of (a) three 3 years after the settlor's death or (b) ninety days after receiving from the trustee this certification of trust and notice. can you explain that please?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there or only one question for $5?

That means that someone who contests the trust must file a lawsuit by:

-3 years after their passing, or

-90 days after receiving notice of the trust.

WHICHEVER IS EARLIEST.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it i wanted to i can contest this trust?

Yes, indeed - within the time-frame allotted.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help. I appreciate you. Deborah

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with five stars and then click SEND to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting. "I strive for FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law