Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live in the state of arkansas. Is a surviving spouse

Customer Question
I live in the...

I live in the state of arkansas. Is a surviving spouse responsible for the deceased spouses medical bills? The deceased spouse is listed as the person responsible for their medical bills prior to their passing. I was never listed as responsible party, nor did I agree to pay the medical bills.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The actual medical bills are only listed in my deceased wife's name

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No actually yes

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Estate Law
3/9/2018
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

A creditor has to file a claim against a deceased person's estate for payment. A spouse is not responsible for the deceased spouse's separate debt. If there is jointly owned property, the creditor could attempt to get 1/2 of that property but would have to make a motion in court to do so and it would be a long drawn out process. In any event, the creditor has to make a claim against the estate first.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.